Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Anacleto

This morning I worked in a part of our territory called Machajmarca. This territory requires a lot of walking, or better said, hiking. The terrain is mainly dirt mixed with rocks and sand.  Filled with a mixture of both steep hills and flat fields....let's just say the journey is anything but easy. However, with that said, allow me to describe my morning in said place.
I had the privilege of working with our dear 75 year old brother named Anacleto. Coming down a hill, on our way to the next house, my curiosity gets the best of me and I ask, "Brother Anacleto, how did you come to know the truth?" He stops, looks at me and replies with a grin, "You really want me to tell you sister Daniela?" "Of course!" I reply, returning the smile. He walks me to the side of the road and begins telling me the story....
"First of all, let me tell you that I blindly came into the truth. No one taught me. I was without knowledge. Should I continue?" Again said with a smile. I nod and smile. "The year was 1964. I was just a young kid, 25 years old. I was in a city going to visit my brother at a plaza. Upon arriving, I see my brother walking towards me with something in his hand. Approaching me he asks, 'Have you seen this magazine!?' It was the Watchtower. I tell him yeah, I've seen it. 'Well have you read it?' Months ago I had received one of the magazines from a workmate who was handing them out to all of us. I had accepted it and just kept it in my room. I never read it. 'You have to read it!' He tells me. 'It teaches from the Bible that God's name is Jehovah.' I look at him and smirk. God's name is Jesus Christ. 'No, his name is Jehovah.' No it's Jesus Christ. 'Why don't you come to meeting with me. Sunday at 4. I'll meet you here at 3:30 sharp.' I agree.
After spending the whole week thinking about what my brother had told me, Sunday finally comes. I arrive at the plaza at 3:20 eager and ready to go. The meeting was in a very small room with maybe 30 others there. We began with a song. At the time we didn't have music. We just all began singing on the count of three...one, two, three...and we all began. After, the brothers gave me a watchtower to study and a songbook. Everything that I would need. I left that day totally convinced of God's name Jehovah. I attended every Sunday meeting. My brother tells me that there is a book study on Tuesday evenings at 7 for one hour. 'Do you want to come?' Of course! Every Sunday and Tuesday I was there. 'We have another meeting on Thursdays from 7-9. Wanna come?' Of course! Every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I was there.
'Now, it's time to preach with us. I will meet you in the plaza at 9am.' I loved preaching. It was easy! All I had to do was accompany the brothers and sisters. It was great. Until.... 'Now it's time to talk to the householder.' No way! What am I going to say? I can't! 'Yes, you can. Read Matthew 6:9 and explain it. It's easy!' Ok. First door. Scripture is ready. Thoughts are in order. The man comes.....I freeze. I have no idea what to say. Gggg...I try to say good morning. Nothing. My brother takes over. Little by little sister Daniela I learned to speak at the doors and to love it.
Now, back in those times, at assemblies the brother would simply say, 'those who desire to get baptized please come to the first aisles tomorrow.' 5 years went by until I finally decided to get baptized. I was married to my lovely wife at the time. She told me, 'well if you're getting baptized, so am I! 1969 we were baptized. She knew less than I did about the Bible! (He laughs to himself) So here we are sister Daniela. Preaching the kingdom, without having had anyone preach to us. (He laughs again).


Our loving brothers taking the lead in service
Anacleto, Orlando, Carlos, Juan
(from left to right)




Anacleto preaching with his 8 year old grandson, Job.

This brother is out in service faithfully every day. One of the happiest brothers I have met. You will never see Anacleto without a smile. (with the exception of the picture I posted hahaha!)


Danna

2 comments:

  1. Love this! But no he wasn't smiling in either pic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yea i didnt have any good pics of him smiling! But he seriously always is! Such a joyful brother!

      Delete